8.26.2008

The First Day of a New Season of Life

Today was the day....the "s" word started. I have been dreading this day since the day she was born, knowing that when it came my life would change too. I think that has been the hardest part- that dumb change word. Change, it is a good thing but it is usually always a hard thing. I remember when she was born all the people who said, "Cherish every minute because before you know it she will be all grown up" and others warned me, "Once school starts it all changes and they grow up so fast." And I tried, I tried so hard to remember and to cherish the moments with her, with all my girls, but it didn't slow anything down like I hoped it would.
The day still came and school still started.
I told her at 3 yrs old she had to stop growing and she didn't listen, though to her credit she is normally a great listener:) too good sometimes. So, now as I look at these pictures I have happy tears knowing that Lord willing we have many wonderful years ahead (I know some of you are thinking "geez you sap she is only 5! She has many years to come" and that is all true, the sap part too haha!) but at the same time being blown away that we are already at this season of life.
Ready to go...I think
Okay not so ready... a few tears but we made it (the before shot)
I made it! (the after shot)
According to Rayah, "I was nervous going but once class started I was fine and all my tears dried up."

Jeff asked me last night what the emotions were that I was feeling, what was I really dealing with and I told him it wasn't just Rayah starting K, it was life starting school and all that comes with that. It was me having to get myself together and wake up early and get everyone out the door, it was entrusting another human being (who we are excited about) to "raise" my daughter for 4 hours a day, it was knowing that this is the beginning of many school years to come, it was the mourning of a routine we had grown comfortable in, it was the reality that she really is growing fast, it was me LOVING being a mom and knowing I was going the miss the kid, it was a lot all rolled up into one. I think I had more butterflies than she did last night but this morning I did well I have to say, better than I thought.
The morning went well and we are excited for this year and how this new season of life will bring us all closer and grow us all up a little more.

Rayah and her buddy, Emily, after class was over. Emily is in the K class down the hall and they were hoping to see each other during recess but apparently I was in error when I told her they would have recess together. But at least they have before and after school as we carpool together.
So thanks to those who were praying for us and this change in our lives,
God is good- He always is!
It will take me a bit to get used to getting us all to school by 8 and
poor Eliana will have to eat later but she will adjust, we all will.
And the random fun news is that Rayah will have her picture in our local paper tomorrow as she is the 3rd generation to start K at Chabot. ( My mom and I went there and my papa would have had it been built in 1932)

3 comments:

Marsha said...

I came across your blog and WOW your 3 girls are so beautiful!! It looks like you are all doing well, and the girls are getting so big. My 3 started Pre-school today, so I was very emotional too. Glad I found you.
Marsha Glas

Amber said...

Heather, I love that you are sentimental!

julia said...

You sound like the BEST mom--i love it when i hear a mom with young kids LOVING having them and not wishing them away. Does my heart good! But seriously, how did she get so big so fast??
;-)