9.24.2006

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.














Psalm 90

1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place

in all generations.

2 Before the mountains were brought forth,

or ever you had formed the earth and the world,

from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

3 You return man to dust

and say, “Return, O children of man!” 

4 For a thousand years in your sight

are but as yesterday when it is past,

or as a watch in the night

12 So teach us to number our days

that we may get a heart of wisdom.

13 Return, O Lord! How long?

Have pity on your servants!

14 Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love,

that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,

and for as many years as we have seen evil.

16 Let your work be shown to your servants,

and your glorious power to their children.

17 Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,

and establish the work of our hands upon us;

yes, establish the work of our hands!


When I received word of grandpa's passing I went up to my room and opened my bible to this passage in Psalm 90. I was particularly drawn to verse 12 not because of what I was reminded of concerning my grandpa, but because of what it reminded me about life in general. One of the things that death does for us is serve as a reminder of our own fraility. My prayer, hopefully all of our prayers, as I consider the passing of life is, "Lord, help me to keep my days in perspective, and give me a heart of wisdom."

Goodbye Grandpa! We will miss you and we will smile when we think of you! The bagel shop won't be the same without you:). We love you and are proud of you! Thank you for loving us and for the big hugs each time we were together.

Grandpa "Spud" Adolph Miller went home to be with his Lord with his family at his side Saturday, September 24th, just shy of his 89th birthday and after 60+ years of marriage to Grandma Lil!

JGM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jeff, for the reminder. How short and fleeting life is on this earth. I knew your grandfather a little bit, & miss seeing him. I'm so glad your family found richness in his presence.

Blessings on your little family.

Jeff Miller said...

Phil,

Thank you for your kind words.

Blessings,
Jeff